Niecy Nash and the Asian Connection

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

[tweetmeme source="euphorialuv" only_single=false http://www.URL.com]

Over on my other blog I had the chance to meet with Niecy Nash not just once but twice. Being a celebrity I'm sure Niecy is asked to work with many brands promoting a product or idea. But I noticed something very interesting about these two specific campaigns I was asked to cover. Both campaigns meant that Niecy was connected to the Asian owned company.

Niecy Nash CloroxNiecy Nash Samsung

 

The first event was when she was promoting a campaign for Colorox. When Niecy teamed up with Clorox and the World Toilet Organization she connected with Jack Sim, Founder of World Toilet Organization (WTO), who I think is of Singapore decent. When I saw the photo of them together I nearly tripped over my feet. LOL.

The 2nd time was while Niecy was promoting a campaign for Samsung Home Appliances. Some of you might remember I worked for a division of the Samsung brand before I became pregnant with my son. The Samsung brand is huge company so there's no direct connection but I do know it's a Korean company. I've hard many times that Korean people don't like black people. So of course it was interesting to see the interaction between the Niecy and the Samsung representative at the event.

Now why is any of this important? Because it says something about how much they value Niecy's status and ability as a black women. By using her image of a black female they're sending a very powerful and modern message. In an industry where partnering with the right celebrity means the difference between thousands of dollars, most companies go with a standard of a 'white' celebrity. Very rarely...that I've seen...have large brands partnered with non white celebrities to send a message that wasn't hip hop or rap related.

So, for me, it was very nice to see a outspoken, colorful and curvy Niecy connecting with companies that had a asian background. It's a shame she's currently engaged. Would have been something to see her partner with an asian male. Just saying.

Like this article? Subscribe to the RSS feed or for email updates!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bloggerized by Blogger Template