Racial Intolerance for Japanese Tsunami, Mixed Asians and Who else?

Sunday, March 20, 2011



As I read the recent post from DISGRASIAN titled "Bigotry ‘n’ Japan, Post-Tsunami" I was embarrassed, appalled and then scared. Are these famous people really saying these things? Out loud? Within the social media world for all to see?



anti asian 50 cent

anti asian gilbert


As I read the article and see the proof my heart aches. The fact that so many feel no fear or hesitation about making the most disrespectful and racially insensitive comments about a countries tragic events should be a wake up call. Clearly they feel it's ok....think about it and what that means.

anti asian

This isn't about what happened in Pearl Harbor and God's retribution. Honestly I think the USA got their revenge for that when they retaliated in the return bombing. I'd say they more than evened the score. So for some to think this is payback time is beyond....I can't even find a word for it....but stupid does fit. No this isn't about Pearl Harbor at all.

What this is about is the secret fear and hate that comes out of people when you least expect it. There seems to be a popping up of growing hatred for Japanese people. Some justify it by claiming it's linked to these recent events...but is it? Or is it more that this tragedy allows people to say and feel what has been inside them for years? Under the disguise of "USA pride" are people showing their true colors of racial hatred and intolerance?

As I sit here and think about my community members who are Japanese or half Japanese I worry for them. What does this growing anti Japanese social climate means for them? And to a larger degree what does this under lining disrespect for the Asian community mean overall?

A few months back when North & South Korea were in the news, I understood what being connected to that culture truly meant. I realized that when people starting being fearful of 'Koreans" it didn't matter if my son was connected to the North or South. A Korean to be feared is a Korean. Point blank. An Asian is an Asian, no matter that they have a separated culture, no matter that their mixed race, no matter that their American.

Hmm.

As a society, have we really grown racially tolerate or have we grown better at hiding our racial intolerance until an event gives us a cover to show the truth person inside? And how long before intolerance for one race of people begins to spill over to other races...again? Think about it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bloggerized by Blogger Template