Freedom of Speech Based On Race

Friday, January 15, 2010

Today someone call me prejudice, the other day someone call me race crazy, along the way it's been implied I'm racist and a bit more. What starts all of this? It's simple really.  I speak.


You'd think from all the drama that surrounds me I was hanging out with Al Sharpton and causing riots in the streets!  But the irony is what I say or blogged about is nothing new...community, women & motherhood issues.  It's amusing. People are quick to take offense even when something isn't about them. Wait. Let me rephrase that. They take offense when something excludes them.

You'd think the right to speak, express yourself, share a thought is for everyone. But there's an unspoken racial understanding that sets limitations on speech. Black people know what I talking about. I suspect asian and spanish people are also familiar with these rules but I wont speak for them here...directly anyway.

So what's the rule? Speak on anything...as long as it doesn't in some way offend or upset a white person. Point blank that it. White words, experiences and thoughts have value. Many things online by white women/mothers that shocked me are praised for being honest and speaking up.

That same freedom is not encouraged for minority women/mothers. In my own experience, where a white mother can express concerned for her child and get support, information and encouragement...I get discouraging remarks about half black child being doomed and what not.

The fact that my biracial child is not half white stuns & confuses people. They dont know what to do and say. They struggle with the reality that minority people find love and start families outside of the white standard.

It seems for white society talking about issues outside of the white ideal is upsetting. Thinking and speaking in terms beyond "whiteness" which allow for a more colorful exploration...well for some thats impossible. If you're not basing things from a white view point then....

I'd say that's the thorn in the side of white society. When you take the focus off of them, exclude them for the conversation then their whole system goes out of whack. But...its time for a new system that supports a different conversation based on true freedom of speech...for everyone and beyond.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bloggerized by Blogger Template