Giving thanks for a diverse community

Thursday, November 25, 2010

[tweetmeme source="euphorialuv" only_single=false http://www.URL.com]

Today many are celebrating Thanksgiving with food and family. I am celebrating thanksgiving with the internet :) As some of you might know I'm not a big fan of the revised version of thanksgiving. I know what happened to those Native American that helped those pilgrims many years ago. While I usually boycott, this year I choose to honor those Native Americans and follow their example of accepting others into their community.

community

When I first started this community more then 10 years ago it was based on a connection I had with black women in relationships with asian men. Throughout the years it's grown to include asian women, black men in general, those with blasian heritage and even some white people. I know, I know but yes white people have also become part of my community.

I often wonder what moved those Native American's to include strangers into their community. They didn't have to share their food and knowledge. Of course I'll never know but I can sorta guess. Over the years as I branched out of my community into the wider world of diversity...I've learned and I've grown.

I've learned some amazing things in the most unexpected ways. I've watched a white women of an adopted blasian child struggle with awareness the same as black and asian mom from my community. I've seen others, East Indian, Latina, and diverse community of "others" offer support and encouragement as I struggle to establish my community. I've seen the true meaning behind the idea of community based on a common goal not just skin tone...and I'm thankful for that....today and every day after.

Like this article? Subscribe to the RSS feed or for email updates!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bloggerized by Blogger Template