Taking the Asian Black Community to the Next Level

Wednesday, August 31, 2011



It's been 10 years and then some. I think I've long established that YES, asian men love black women. I've also established that asian and black families not only exist but we're a thriving community to take note of. I think it's way past time for me to move the community and this blog to the next level.

unlimited

If you've followed me for a bit, you know that I've been tapping into different areas where I can highlight the asian and black connection. A few years ago I made the decision to close down my yahoo community group and step outside the online world. Honestly I wasn't sure what I would find. At the time most resources and support was limited to online groups and forums. But I knew I had to break out of that and move on. My vision and hopes for the community were way grander then just being a yahoo group.

Since taking that step I've been amazed at all the things I've done and learned. I've shared some things here but there's lots more to be shared and done. I've been MIA on this blog for a while but it's with good reason. Spreading awareness of my community outside to the masses takes alot of work. In some ways it hasn't been easy and some people didn't want to hear what I had to say. Like that's going to stop me.

As I pushed on I found many more people were interested in what I had to say. Many people were interested in learning more, supporting my goal of spreading awareness and even taking my message to their community.

This year alone, I've been interviewed and featured on a few high profile website.
  • Hear my interviewed for Is that Your Child Podcast where I discuss why Black women should be educated about Asian men as marriage partners
  • One of my blog post was spotlighted on BlogHer Race & Ethnicity when I wrote about The Help Movie and how it should open the conversation about ALL races not just black and white.
  • I was featured in the Power Moms book! Yup there's a little burb about me and building this community.
  • Later this year I will be interviewed on Mixed Chicks Chat. That's going to be an interesting interview cause I know they gonna try and call me on somethings I've said and blogged about *pray for me*

I've also spoken on some high profile panels. While one panel were about music and the other about smartphones, being asked to be part of that is itself an accomplishment. People who heard me speak on my panels were seeing a representative of this community. As I sat there sharing information I was aware that for many people this would be the first time learning about the asian and black community. I'm sure many people had to goggle Euphoria Luv after I mentioned it. LOL

While all these things are great within themselves, it's the connection that I've started making with other's who are part of the blasian community that I'm most proud of. As some of you know I had the chance to meet Kimora Lee Simmons-Hounsou this year. I promise I'll share what that was like in a future blog post. But Kimora isn't the only high profile blasin I've connected with. I hope to keep making those connections and sharing my experiences here.

I also want to highlight real life example of those with blasian heritage, couples, families AND those that connect with our community even if they're NOT asian or black. I found many other ethnic groups and cultures share our same struggles and need for support.

It's time we stopped living in the shadows and step forward to share our voices and experiences for those coming after us. More then 10 years ago I started this blog with the intention to share and connect. My intentions and goal are the same....just on another level that's deeper, wider and unlimited.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bloggerized by Blogger Template