Celebrating New Year in Japan

Wednesday, February 1, 2012


A few days ago many celebrated the Asian Lunar New Year. While many people know about the Chinese customs and traditions, very few know about the OTHER asian customs for Lunar New Year. I asked Tara, who's blogs at Tara Kamiya to share how her family celebrate the New Year in Japan - Onica, editor

I spent New Year’s in Gujo, a small mountain city in Japan. It was awesome to be one of the first in the world to have a New Year. But I must say that by American standards it was not that action packed.

Japanese New Year


I arrived at my uncle’s house in Gujo greeted with smiles and lots of food. There are traditional New Year’s Foods & Sake and then there is just good old fashioned eating. I was lucky; my uncle had some wine that he had made himself and some homemade soba noodles. After stuffing my face with black beans, sushi, egg, beef, soba etc., we all sat under a traditional table that sits low on the floor called a kotastsu. It is warm under the table and it’s a sight to see a bunch of people passed out with their legs covered by a table sitting around the TV.

Usually if you’re home in America on New Year’s Eve you sit around the TV and watch the countdown of your choice. Maybe you have a few drinks, or some noise makers. In Japan New Year’s is not really a time when people go out and party, at least not most people over 25. I spend the night with my family sitting around the TV waiting for the temple to ring the New Year’s bell. Once New Year’s Eve came we watched hundreds of people rush into the temple. There were even a few Gaijin (non-Japanese) as this is a popular thing to do for Buddhist wherever they are from.

I must admit at first I felt cheated. No party? No noise? I was definitely not in America. Shortly after the bell was rung everyone went to bed and I could not stop thinking, that’s it?

Japanese New Year

Japanese New Year


How wrong I was! The next day proved to be awesome. TV programming for the day is centered on comedy. There are hours and hours of comedy specials to entertain most of the public who are off from work for about a week. We sat around the TV watching comedies and eating New Year’s junk food. I really enjoyed this big triangle cookie with a prize inside. It tastes like a really fresh fortune cookie, but it is like 10 times bigger.

New Year’s Day started a week long chain of family visits, events, and parties. One of the traditional foods for New Year’s is called mochi, which is steamed rice pounded into a gooey sticky texture. And it is so important that it has its own party. My aunty made a mochi party at her house with family, friends and lots of mochi. It can be eaten just as it is or it can be dried a bit and toasted. It is used in soups, sweetened for deserts and is really delicious and filling. New Year’s Day we took the mochi and wrapped little bits around tree branches to make the mochi look like flowers. Mochi is used to celebrate thankfulness for a bountiful rice supply for the year.

This was the best New Year’s I ever had surrounded by family and friends. Sure I only understood about 35 percent of what was being said, but one common denominator between Japanese New Year and New Year’s in America was that there was always some kind of spirits circulating and that made everything pretty familiar.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bloggerized by Blogger Template