Tiger Tales : A Year of Good Fortune

Thursday, March 1, 2012


This weeks guest post comes via Maria, a xpat mom, originally from Trinidad, West Indies, who’s blogs at Tiger Tales named in honor of her son, born in 2010 the Chinese Year of the Tiger. Maria's family is Chinese-Italian and Black West Indian – Onica, editor

This year, as with all the years since I’ve been married, we didn't do anything special for Chinese New Year. You’d think that after we have a child we’d be doing loads of activities to teach our son aspects of his cultural heritage. Unfortunately, for various reasons,  it did not happen. Hubby isn’t into crowds, public transport or anything too ‘ethnic’; he’s a modern concert jungle sort of man. We’ve pretty much come to the conclusion as a couple that for matters of the arts, culture and heritage, I’ll teach our child(ren).

Tiger Tales

On the Saturday prior to Chinese New Year, we went to my in-laws. We wished each other Kung Hei Fat Choy! Shared a lovely Chinese meal together and that was it. As usual Angelo was at the center of the festivities and he had his fill of the meal sitting like a ‘big boy’ at the dinner table. He had a great time. Next year I’d like to do something special with Angelo to properly mark the occasion. However one thing special did happen this year, I began dreaming of my second child.

Tiger Tales

2012 is the Year of the Dragon, which is year of good fortune. I thought to myself if I had to have another child now would be the best time. I’m not overly superstitious but I must admit I do pay some attention to signs and horoscopes. Apparently Dragons and Tigers are rivals. Maybe I should brace myself for ‘lively’ sibling rivalry. However, I live in the hope that hubby and I will teach our children to love and look out for each other. We want them to be them to be a tight little unit. It would be nice to have a girl, if we don’t well that’s ok too. Angelo will have an excellent sparring partner!

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_dragon

Image of dragon from pinterest via beccastadtlander.blogspot.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bloggerized by Blogger Template