Painting My Biracial Daughters Toys

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Recently I was ranting on twitter about the need to paint my son's toys a different color aka race. I figured I was the only mom who would do something like that. Until I received a tweet from Melissa sharing she also did this. Of course I asked her to share her story – Onica, editor

There is something special and difficult about raising a child of color. I am honored that my daughter is biracial. I feel that it makes her special. It gives her color, heritage and culture. But there is also an up hill battle that I must fight. Society is not ready to embrace the idea that 'everyone is beautiful regardless of their color'. Instead, they feed us the notion that that only one particular look is right.

Painting Mariposas in The Sky

I've taken my sharpie many times to my daughter's books and toys and have given them color. I know that it is vital for her to see herself in these heroes, in these main characters, to build her self esteem.

Some of my friends call me crazy for doing it. They tell me that I am being over sensitive to these stories but I know that I am doing what is best for my daughter and for her character.

When I was growing up, there was shame in the color of my skin because I was surrounded by images of people who were not like me. I don't not want to see my daughter go thru the same thing. Even if it means that I have to hide dolls that are given to her by family members that do not look like her, or that I have to give her book characters some color.

I try my best to look for books and toys that look like my daughter. Who reflect the ideals that I want her to learn but it is hard to control the world. It is hard to control what other people give her. I don't want to seem ungrateful, or unwilling to take the gifts but at the same time I don't want to taint my daughter's perception of what is beautiful.

I know that if I raise her to believe that she is beautiful, she can conquer anything. And it is my hope that she learns to love herself and where she comes from. Even if I have to give her toys and books a 'little color'

Melissa is a Latina Mommy to a biracial child, a wife in an interracial relationship and a women with a lot of passions: education, activism and more recently health. Melissa says she's a walking contradictions of sorts. She walks a fine line between two worlds and make no excuses when it comes to her views. You can read her blog Painting Mariposas in The Sky and follow her on twitter as @melissalibertad

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bloggerized by Blogger Template